6. The Cowardly Lion


They walked some time through the woods when, all of the sudden, a lion appeared and started attacking our friends. With a blow of its paw, he sent the scarecrow to the ground and the Woodman to… Well, in fact Pek the Woodman barely moved because of the impact, for he was made of very solid tin. Then he faced Toto and, when he was about to bite him, Dorothy punched the lion’s nose.

-          How you dare to attack poor Toto. You should be ashamed to attack such a little dog. You’re nothing but a coward.
-          I know. I’m a cowardly lion, I can’t help it.
-          A cowardly lion? And how’s that?
-          I don’t know. I think I’ve been caged for too long. They tried to tame me, to take away my power and keep me small, but that’s not in my nature. Unfortunately, when they let me loose, I had grown accustomed to be in a cage, and now I’m too cowardly to be the fierce lion I should be.
-          Oh, that’s a shame. The king of beasts should be courageous.
-          I wish I had courage!
-          Well, we are going to Oz to see the Wizard, so he can take me home, and give the Scarecrow some brains, and the Tin Man a heart. He could give you some courage as well, if you come with us.
-          Then, if you don’t mind, I’ll go with you.
-          Sure. By the way, what’s your name?
-          Derrick.

And they kept walking through the woods. Once, the Tim Man stepped upon a bug and killed it, and he cried sorrowfully until his jaw rusted, and the Scarecrow, who was the one that noticed, had to oil it.

-          From now I will be more carefully, because if I step a bug, I cry and rust me jaw. You have hearts so you not have to worry. Myself have to watch close because I have no heart. When Oz give me heart I will not worry.